Thursday 15 August 2013

Bathroom Revolution: The Body Fat Scale

So, the other day my wife was watching some sort of Martha Stewartish show on TV. They were doing something with the kitchen, then the dining room, and then the bathroom. And my wife was sitting on the couch, with a notebook in her lap, jotting down notes. Something caught my eye when they were surveying the bathroom.

I then got up and went into our bathroom and saw that it was sort of bland and did not inspire (I don't know if a bathroom is really supposed to inspire or not?). And then my eye settled on our old spring weight scale; and I decided it might be time for a change to that old thing.

I have been standing on my bathroom scale for right around 10-15 years, and the old thing keeps telling me the same weight. So, I did a little research over the week end and decided that I need something new. I don't want to be told just my weight, but if I am in decent shape or not. Now, a quick look in the mirror can tell me, roughly, if I am in shape; but I wanted something that I could use to gauge myself, something logical and quantitative.

During my investigation, I reaffirmed the belief that muscle weighs more than fat and that there was something called bioelectrical impedance that actually works. What bioelectrical impedance does is it sends a small amount of electricity throughout your body and measures resistance (in ohms probably). It then uses this information with a complex formulation that tells you a decent estimate of your body fat percentage and can even tell you your body water make-up. These devices are usually found in workout gyms, doctors' offices, etc.

But in today's electronically laden society, bioelectrical impedance has made an appearance (and can make an appearance) in homes throughout the nation. The most common and useful device employed bioelectric impedance is the body fat scale. This bathroom scale not only tells you your weight, but also your body fat and body water composition. It tells you all of this in the matter of a few seconds. A body fat scale is truly intuitive.

Digital scales have always had a huge importance in the commercial industry, but only fairly recently have digital scales' useful ingenuity been taken in the homes of normal consumers. Not only can a digital scale weigh, it can also calculate calories, calculate volume based on weight, track your diet, and above all, tell you how healthy you are (through fat percentage). The beauty of the digital body fat scale is that it tells us more than what we expect.

I was so excited about a body fat scale that I told my wife and we bought one. Not only are they extremely useful, easy to use, and practical; but they also turn your bathroom from a sub-standard 70's room, and pushes it into the 21st century. Every room in the house has electronic devices. And now the bathroom takes a huge leap with a bathroom scale that is not just something you stand on, but one of those high performance digital scales that tells you what you want to know: the body fat scale.

No comments:

Post a Comment